1. Goal setting focuses your efforts and improves your direction in life.
2. Goal setting encourages you to set priorities and become more organized.
3. Goal setting turns your wishful thinking into reality.
4. Goal setting points out your successes as you achieve them, motivating you toward further success.
5. Goal setting improves your self-esteem.
6. Goal setting makes you responsible for your own life. It defines your own value system.
7. Goal setting makes you aware of your strengths and allows you to overcome obstacles and solve problems.
8. Goal setting points out your weaknesses. You can begin setting new goals to improve in those areas and to turn them into strengths.
Record keeping is important. Writing down your goals and action plans represents a commitment. Otherwise your dreams are merely wishful thinking. You can reread and visualize written goals. They are credible and legitimate. They move you forward. When your goals are written, you have begun to act. Inertia disappears. You will immediately sense accomplishment.