Why is Management Sales Training Important?28 May 2012 3:27 pm Sales Management Training
Management sales training is more important than you think. I don’t know about you, but when I was in sales I wanted to become a sales manager.
I concluded that I had to be just like my sales manager if I wanted a chance at his job.
I was influenced by his behaviour whether appropriate or not.
You heard it said before, “monkey see – monkey do”. This is the main reason why management sales training is so important.
Managers, not only sales managers, must “walk the talk” and demonstrate appropriate behaviours that can be emulated by their sales team.
Although many organizations invest in corporate sales training programs, they do not often consider management sales training as part of the corporate sales training plan.
You already know that people look up to management and will emulate management’s course of action. If sales management is not involved or does not utilize what is acquired from the corporate sales training program, then they defeat the overall purpose of sales training. It becomes a futile investment of time, money and resources.
However, let’s consider some of the reasons for management sales training, as it goes beyond the corporate sales training curriculum:
- Management sales training focuses on understanding the role of a leader/mentor/coach and how to effectively guide in all areas.
- It enlightens and warrants increased and on-going team motivation and bottom line results.
- Management sales training provides sales managers with the tools necessary to engage the sales team and secure a commitment to devise and accomplish effective sales strategies and goals.
- It also highlights how to forecast and maintain sales performance while getting the best return on time invested – R.O.T.I.
- It offers techniques on how to provide constructive feedback and deal with conflict.
- It explores how to run effective sales meetings, build stronger teams, and use recognition and reward appropriately.
- Management sales training is designed to support the corporate sales training program and help create winners.
- It also includes effective adult learning principles and methodologies used in on-going training and coaching of the sales team.
- Management sales training generates a well-trained sales manager who becomes an asset in any corporation, trained to effectively lead their team toward improved attitudes, behaviours, competencies and bottom line measurable results.
These are only some highlights. Management sales training is a must add-on to corporate sales training. Keep in mind that sales people are an extension of management but the bottom line is sales. Without sales, there is no revenue, no organization, no jobs and no bottom line. Invest in management sales training!